PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024 is open now. In the context of the SNSF Sinergia funded project “Holocene hydroclimate, drought dynamics, and environmental changes recorded in multiple archives from SW Asia (MITRA),” the Division of Climate and Environmental Physics at the Physics Institute of the University of Bern is seeking applications for a PhD position starting on 1st May 2024. The four-year PhD project aims to understand hydro-climate extremes in Southwestern Asia over the past 3500 years through dynamical downscaling of global climate conditions.
The candidate will specifically focus on gaining insights into the processes behind extreme drought and heavy precipitation events in SW Asia, establishing connections with proxy evidence provided by project partners. Supervised by Prof. Dr. Christoph Raible in the Climate and Environmental Physics group, the candidate will also collaborate with Sinergia partners at the Universities of Basel and Marseilles, fostering international research collaboration. The PhD candidate will be affiliated with the Oeschger Centre for Climate Change Research, offering opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration and exchange.
PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
Program: PhD Position
Coverage: Fully Funded
Offered By: Universität Bern
Host Region: Switzerland
Project: Regional Climate Modelling
Eligibility Criteria for PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
- Master’s degree in meteorology, Climate or Atmospheric Science, or Physics.
- Strong interest and experience in running climate models.
- Excellent programming and data handling skills.
- Keen interest in interdisciplinary research.
- Proficiency in English, both written and spoken.
- Background in regional climate modelling with WRF or ICON is a plus.
Task and Responsibilities for PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
- Project MITRAS aims to enhance understanding of climatic changes and their influence on the environment in Southwestern (SW) Asia.
- Utilizes a dense network of paleo records and climate model simulations for comprehensive analysis.
- Regional climate modeling is crucial for assessing the complex climate in SW Asia, focusing on hydroclimate.
- PhD candidate will be responsible for dynamical downscaling of global climate conditions for the past 3500 years in SW Asia.
- Focus on understanding extreme drought and heavy precipitation conditions in SW Asia, linking to proxy evidence.
- PhD candidate will be part of Prof. Dr. Christoph Raible’s group (Climate and Environmental Physics).
- Embedded within the Sinergia partners at the Universities of Basel and Marseilles, allowing for international collaborations.
- Affiliation with the Oeschger Centre for Climate Change Research provides additional interdisciplinary collaborations and exchange.
Benefits of PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
- Starting date: 1st May 2024, or upon agreement.
- Employment conditions and remuneration aligned with the standards of the University of Bern, Switzerland.
Required Documents for PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Motivation letter
- Link to a PDF file of your Master thesis
- MSc certificates, including evaluations
- Contact information of three references
How to Apply for PhD Position in Switzerland at Universität Bern 2024
- Interested applicants must apply online.
- Link to apply online is given below.
- Application received after last date will not be entertained.
- Applicants must send all required documents in one pdf to Prof. Dr. Christoph Raible at following given email address.
- Consideration of further applications until the position is filled
- Review of applications received before 7th February 2024.